Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Social Media Marketing: Twitter (Part1)


Twitter is potentially the best marketing tool for Freelancers to use today. I will teach you how you can gain a large amount of targeted followers, and gain traffic to your blog from my personal experience.


I have been using Twitter for quite some time to market either blogs or websites that I have owned in the past. Today I use it to market my freelancing business, as well as spread my knowledge to like minded people. This is potentially the best way to gain a large amount of targeted followers in a short amount of time.

Gain Targeted Followers

Gaining followers can seem like a daunting task to some. Personally I would have to say it is one of the easiest goals to accomplish using Twitter. I will give you an example of how I started finding people that would enjoy my posts and be loyal followers.

Instantly when I joined Twitter I searched for freelance writers whom were well known and had large amounts of followers. All of the people following that freelance writer are usually interested in what the writer has to say. This can be the same for you if you are giving out useful information and are trying to market your writing business. At the same time you are gaining followers that you can engage in conversation with because you both are in the same professional field.

I chose to go to Bridie Jenners and Danielle McGaw’s Twitter accounts (@DanielleMcgaw, @BridiesTyping), I started weeding out their followers. I individually went down the list to pick out people that will specifically be interested in what I have to say, as well as people that I would be interested in getting in contact with. By choosing Bridie and Danielle, I knew that any follower that they must have would be focused towards blogging and freelance writing, which is the reason I followed them.

Keep finding more and more big name freelance writers and adding their followers and soon enough you will have a large targeted network. This is how you can create a solid community that you can benefit from as well as them benefit from you.

Communication with Followers

Many people create a Twitter account solely to market their business and spam people with DM’s (direct messages). This is a pandemic in the Twitter community because I would say about 75% of the people on this social-networking site are using this strategy. It is the number one strategy to use if you want to fail.

Make sure to communicate with other freelance writers in your network instead of just posting up your stories all of the time. Get involved because by talking, and doing actual networking, you can end up with a job or even a good friend. Writing can be a lonely job so you can even use your network of followers to gain some social interaction in your life.

Talking to followers will give them a sense of meaning and purpose, instead of just making them another person to be spammed with pointless articles. Take a minute, sit down, and read through your posts and see what your network is talking about, maybe you will even have some useful information to contribute.



This is the first post in the series of using a social-networking plan to help your business. Part 2 will be coming within the next few days so stay tuned!

Now it is time for me to plug myself. You can follow me on Twitter as well! @VincentFrog

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the mention Vincent!

    You are absolutely right about communicating on Twitter - it isn't a place to advertise! It is a place to make connections with others and to learn. I have to say that Twitter has been the biggest source of information for me, I have met truly likeminded people and had the opportunity to work with them, and yes, I have gotten jobs from Twitter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading Danielle! I had to mention who were my main influences on Twitter when I first joined or I would be lying :). I completely agree though there is no reason to use Twitter if you are just putting up articles because then everyone gets annoyed by you. Use it as a SOCIAL network not just an article posting network!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great advice Vincent, and thanks for the mention.

    Automated DMs are a pet hate of mine - I really don't see the point of them other than to annoy new followers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Bridie! I am glad that you enjoyed my article :).

    I totally agree though, I HATE DMs, especially when I am spammed with them almost every single day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent work, Vincent! I agree with your thoughts and love the thought of making the most of the opportunity not only for work but social interaction. Writing can be a lonely business!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very much Terrie, I really appreciate it! I figure that Twitter can be extremely useful for marketing, but why not use it for social interaction as well? I mean it was made for that sole purpose of communication :)

    ReplyDelete